Monday, June 1, 2009

Costa Rica 2009!

Well, here I am in Costa Rica once again! I am attending the same Spanish-Language immersion school as I attended last year. This year I will take classes for 4 weeks and then the 5th week, George will join me and we'll celebrate our 50th birthdays this summer by traveling for a week. The tentative plan is to see San Jose and Arenal Volcano (both of which I've seen, but George hasn't) and then go down to the town of Puerto Viejo on the Caribbean side of the country to explore. This will be a new experience for both of us and should be lots of fun!
There are only 2 other students at the school right now. Thomas is a gentleman in his 60s or so who is from Palm Springs, CA and has been to Costa Rica 8 times now! Jessica is a college student from Alabama. This is her first time and she's only been here a week now. She hasn't explored much because she was afraid to go by herself, so we'll probably be doing some trips together.

Jessica in one of the classrooms at ILISA

I'm hoping this time to go to Monteverde Cloud Forest, see Volcano Irazu, and go on a bird-watching expedition, hopefully to see the beautiful Quetzal bird. I have my handy Birds of Costa Rica guide, so I'm ready! Thank you to Aunt Susan who got me started bird-watching with a hummingbird feeder many years ago!
This time I'm staying with a different family: a mother and two teenage daughters. After I arrived yesterday, I went with the family to a birthday celebration for the oldest who had just turned 17. I live a little further out than I did last year. I'll probably try walking, but after having my bunion surgery in April, we'll see if my foot does alright.
So - bye for now and I'll try to update when interesting things happen!

1 comment:

Susan Spoeneman said...

Well, it's taken a bit to be "certified" here. Hope this one goes through. Sounds like you're up for a great adventure. Good luck on finding your Q bird.

Thank you for the package. Couldn't have arrive at a better time as I needed something to wear to Casey's graduation. The yellow outfit looks great and I have a wonderful lavender jacket to wear with it (thanks) and the perfect necklace. Much appreciate it.

I'll try to keep up withyour musings every day. Love, Aunt Susan