Monday, June 9, 2008

My first weekend - Arenal Volcano


Arenal Volcano

Well, my first weekend adventure was a complete success!!! Katherine, Toby and I booked a trip to Arenal Volcano. We rode a very nice tour bus, which stopped in a town known for it's shopping (really just a souvenir stop) where of course I had to buy something. I bought an oxcart, which is very famous here in Costa Rica. Don't worry, George - it's just a little one! Then we went up to the volcano area where we went to Tabacon Hot Springs. Ahhhhh. It was so relaxing. We sat under the hot waterfalls, walked through the grounds admiring the beautiful plants and flowers, and just relaxed. Then in the evening, we went to a place to view the volcano. Even though there were lots of clouds, we were able to see the lava coming down the mountain. It was awesome! I felt so lucky to see it, because I know lots of times people can't see it at all. After viewing the volcano, we went to eat at an incredible buffet. Then we went to our hotel, which was very nice. I woke up early (we're talking 4:30 in the morning) because of the birds. So Katherine and I got up and took a walk behind our room around 6. She is a birdwatcher also. We saw lots of birds, including several very colorful ones that I was able to identify. Then we saw the volcano, which was right in front of the hotel. First thing in the morning it was clouded over, but then it cleared and was magnificent! We could even see the smoke coming out of the top. Afterwards we met Toby and took a tour of the rainforest using hanging bridges. That was cool!!! We saw white-faced monkeys, lizards, birds, ants, etc. One of my favorites was the leaf-cutting ant. It was quite amazing to watch them in a line carrying leaves which were many times their size and seeing their huge mound. At Tabacon I bought a sloth necklace and earrings, figuring that by the end of my six weeks I would have a chance to see one. On the way back to the hotel from the rainforest tour, the bus driver spied one (in Spanish, an 'oso perezoso') and we got to stop to take pictures. Unlike the image I had in my mind, the sloth was really quite ugly - dirty and gray. Oh well. I still like my necklace and I feel very lucky to have seen a real sloth! All in all, if I don't get to see anything else during my trip to Costa Rica, I will be content - it was just amazing.
Tabacon Hot Springs

Leaf-cutting ants

3 comments:

Mrs.C's Corner said...

Wow, you had an awesome weekend! You didn't mention before that you had George's Mom and a friend there in Costa Rica with you, I'm glad you had someone there to share your volcanic experience. :) Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Melody said...

No - Toby is one of the men who I met who is taking classes here. And the friend I mentioned is the one who I met at the airport. She and I rode together to the school and I found out that she is a little older than I, but has kids the same ages and she also homeschooled them. Small world!

Mrs.C's Corner said...

Ahhhh...it all makes sense now. ;)

So this is your second week in Costa Rica, are you speaking the language like a native yet? :D It's been cool hearing your adventures of finding your way around and figuring out what people are saying to you! Keep up the good work, Kiddo!